Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Beginning


So it starts here.  I’m a woman in my late thirties who woke up a few weeks ago and realized my life is quickly passing me by, in a sea of cover bands and dirty martinis.  What happened?  And how did it happen so fast??  And most importantly, why am I still single??
I’m attractive, smart, some say funny, know how to read and write, can get myself showered and out the door in less than 45 minutes, genuinely enjoy watching a good sporting event, am usually on time, generally independent (except for changing light bulbs and anything else that requires climbing a ladder) gainfully and successfully employed and have health benefits…..so, really, what more could you want?

Now don’t get me wrong, I’ve definitely had my share of, shall we say, gentleman callers of the not so gentlemanly variety.  It’s the quality that’s a problem.  And as I do in my professional life, when things aren’t going as planned, I have to take a look at the common denominator in the situation.  ME!  Maybe I’m just not making enough of an effort, reluctant to change, afraid of commitment etc.  (All of those convenient excuses we make for guys who don’t call us back)

Whatever it is, something needs to change, and fast.  Commiserating with some like-minded girlfriends I decided to do something.  Take action.  Set a goal.   The things you’d do to conquer any of life’s other challenges.  That something would be chronicling my leap of faith into the online dating pool.  I’m a firm believer in taking action to bring change.  The more you do something, the more of that thing you’ll get.  The Law of attraction…..blah blah blah.  It works and I’m going to prove it.  As my friend’s mom said so succinctly “If you throw enough spaghetti against the wall, some of it’s bound to stick”.

My goal is to go on 3-4 dates a month and give a brief recount of each date.  A “date” will be a scheduled event where I get to know a new guy who has potential.   I’ll throw in some friends’ stories as well to keep it interesting and anonymous.  Maybe add the perspective of a male friend here and there too.
Ultimately, I’d like to find a good guy.  Hopefully this will make the search that much more exciting and fun.

A quick note of thanks to my friends.  Their suggestions (most notably for the title of this blog), ideas, time spent discussing (and laughing) and beautifully kind, words of encouragement gave me the courage to do this.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment