Saturday, December 31, 2011

Date #11 & 12 - The Pleasant Surprise

Our second date was at a trendy restaurant in the city, just a couple of blocks from my office.  It was a place I had been wanting to try out so a great suggestion by him.  He was early and was able to get our spot on the list for a table without any input from me AND had a beer waiting for me when I got there.  You might not think beer is the proper choice for a "lady" but we had discussed how much I enjoy trying new beers at brunch so it was nice that he remembered.  Most men, or people even, don't remember ANYTHING, EVER.  So to find someone who remembers a small detail like that is cool.  I appreciated it.  Also proves he actually listens.  Again, a rare find.

We only had a short time to wait for our table and wound up at a cool spot upstairs overlooking the bar area.  I usually don't feel comfortable eating on dates because it's so awkward.  To me, at least.  It's hard to scream across the table loud enough to be heard and try to eat gracefully at the same time.  I never do a good job of it.  However, I didn't have the same anxieties I usually do in this case.  It was easy. 

Conversation was great again.  We broached some more serious topics this time but it wasn't the usual nonsense you get with a guy when you talk about these types of things.  They just came naturally and were usually brought up by him.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, we had an adult conversation about adult things without either person wanting to run for the hills.  I'll admit, I can be just as bad, as that's my usual reaction to such talk.  I didn't feel like I was about to hyperventilate at all.  

I did notice one minor negative detail.  His table manners are not that good.  I've definitely seen much worse, to the point where I couldn't even be at the table with this person.  My date isn't nearly as bad but there's room for improvement.  But, if that's the worst of it, I'll take it.

We left that date with plans for a 3rd date, 2 days later.  He texted me the next day to inquire about time and said he'd make a reservation.  A real, live, thought out in advance reservation to a restaurant.  Once again, with absolutely no input from me.  We had also talked about how much I like tapas and Spanish food so he chose a place that serves that downtown.  This time there was a Mojito waiting for me upon my arrival. I did come to realize it was only there because he ordered one for himself and decided he didn't want it.  But still.  Most guys I know would have just sent it back as opposed to waiting to see if I wanted it instead.

I enjoyed our conversation even more this time because it got a bit more real and less "interview-ish".  He's very smart and is good at the banter, which is one of my favorite things to do.  What I liked even more is he doesn't have a problem disagreeing with me and proving his point.  Confident and intelligent.  And he doesn't worry about making impressions or hurting his pride.  He asked me out again for a 4th date right in the middle of dinner!  Almost too good to be true.

Most importantly, and appreciated by me is, there have been no attempts at creepy touching.  Or any touching for that matter.  He hasn't even commented on how I look or what I'm wearing.  I know many of you might find that off putting but I like it.  It takes a while for me to warm up to people (except for when it's a bad idea in which case, I'm all over it).  And compliments make me uncomfortable.  So I'm glad he hasn't gone there just yet.

I'll post again about Date #4.  I know I said I'd stop after the 3rd date but I feel like it hasn't gotten to the point where I'd be divulging intimate details so I'll do one more.  I also went out with Ashton, the young one I mentioned a couple of posts ago, so will post that one too.  Hope everyone has an amazing New Year's Eve!  





No comments:

Post a Comment